Robin Yong is a Travel Medicine practitioner and a multi-award winning Travel and Commercial Photographer, trained by acclaimed American photographer Jim Zuckerman, the world famous Venetian Masks Florine Houee and Danielle Massart, and legendary Hollywood photographer Greg Gorman. He enjoys traveling to exotic destinations to befriend and photograph the locals.
He is best known for his fairy tale-esque worldview work on the Omo Valley tribes in Ethiopia, the Venetian Masked models in Venice, the Bokator boxers of Cambodia and the Maikos of Kyoto. He calls these works his Travel Portraits, his Art of Travel Medicine. For most of his works, he does not use flash, reflectors or artificial lighting, depending solely on natural lighting alone. The photos are often intense, dramatic, colourful and extremely beautiful. For Robin, every photo must look like a movie poster…These highly conceptual and thought provoking Travel Portraits especially, are designed to arouse an audience both visually and emotionally.
His orientation towards photography has always been motivated by personal curiosities and passion often comes before commercial considerations so his photos have always been a little different from that of many other photographers. His private sessions and assistance in photo workshops are highly sought after, and previous participants included doctors, professors and even US senators. Despite his fame today, he will still do time for photo collaborations with budding models and artistes if the conditions are right.
Over the past few years, Robin has quickly become one of the most popular and influential photographers at the Venice Carnevale and within the past few months, Flowers of Ethiopia alone has gathered numerous awards, finalist status and honourable mentions in many International photography competitions, including Alfred Fried Awards, Antu Sente Cup, Australia’s Top Emerging Photographers, International Photography Awards, Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA), Istanbul Photo Awards, Moscow International Foto Awards, One Eyeland Awards, The Prix de la Photographie Paris, Sienna International Photo Awards, Tokyo International Foto Awards, Travel Photographer of the Year (TPOTY) Awards, Xposure Awards etc. In just slightly more than 3 years, Robin’s travel photos have gathered morethan 900 awards worldwide, earning him Grandmaster status within the Australian Photographic Society.
More About: Robin Yong
Exhibitions & Festivals
Country Holidays 20th Anniversary event, “Stories of the Mekong” Photo exhibition, 14th January 2015, Lapis Thai, Shanghai, China
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 First Exhibition 2nd April to 16th April, Tophane-i Amire Art Museum, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Travel Photographer Society Exhibition 27th April to 7th May, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 Sergi Exhibition
4th May to 30th May, Cer Modern Arts Center, Ankara, Turkey.
- 4th International Photo Salon Plodiv 30th June to 14th July, Gallery of the Association Society of Plodiv Artists, 32 Gladston Street, Plodiv, Bulgaria.
- Blank Wall Gallery, Portraits in B&W, 23rd June to 6th July, 55 Fokionos Negri Street 11361, Athens Greece
- 16th Donggang International Photo Festival (동강국제사진제) 14th July to 1st October 2017, Donggang Museum of Photography and nearby outdoor exhibition hall, Yeongwol Station, Cultural Art Hall, Large Hall of Yeongwol-gun County Office, Women’s Hall, areas of Yeongwol. 1909-10, Yeongwol-ro, Yeongwol-gun, Gangwon-do, Seoul, South Korea.
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 Exhibition 7th September to 7th October, FolkArt Gallery, Adalet Mahallesi, Manas Blv. 37-2, 35530 Bayraklı/İzmir, Turkey.
- “Out There 2017”
Canberra Photographic Society’s Annual Exhibition, 14th September – 24th September, Watson Arts Centre, 1 Aspinall St, Watson ACT 2602, Australia
- Blank Wall Gallery, Travel
22nd September to 5th October, 55 Fokionos Negri Street 11361, Athens Greece
- Blank Wall Gallery, Black & White 6th October to 19th October, 55 Fokionos Negri Street 11361, Athens Greece
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 Exhibition 10th October to 10th November, Sakarya, Turkey.
- 29th Sutherland Shire National Exhibition of Photography 2017 12th October 2017, St George Photographic Society, St George Leagues Club, 124 Princes Highway, Kogarah, NSW, Australia.
- 29th Sutherland Shire National Exhibition of Photography 2017 17th October 2017, Cronulla Sharks Photography Club, Cronulla Sharks Leagues Club, 461 Captain Cook Drive, Cronulla, NSW, Australia.
- Blank Wall Gallery, Landscapes 20th October to 2nd November, 55 Fokionos Negri Street 11361, Athens Greece
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 Exhibition
16th October to 27th October, Birlesmis Milletler / United Nations Headquarters, New York 405 East 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 USA.
- Photo House “On a Journey” Collective Exhibition 2nd November to 2nd December 2017, Le Dame Art Gallery at Melia White House, 1 Albany Street, Regent’s Park, London NW13UP, United Kingdom.
- Istanbul Photo Awards 2017 Exhibition
9th November to 19th November 2017, Red October Gallery, Bersenevskiy per., 2с1, Moskva, Московская область, 119072 Moscow, Russia.
- The Stockholm Diary – “The Essence of Monochrome”
24th November 2017 to 6th January 2018, Haller utca 27.Budapest 1096, Hungary
- Vinci Photo Festival 2017. Il viaggio nell’immaginario.
2nd December 2017 to 12th February 2018
Museo Leonardiano Piazza dei Guidi, 50059 Vinci, Italy .
- Montana Pico Festival The World in the Mountains Exhibition 7th January to 7th April 2018, MiratecArts Foto Galeria 1-2, n29, Mirateca, Azores 9950-153, Portugal
- Hollywood Art and Movie Awards 26th January 2018, Alliance Francaise de Pasadena, Pasadena, CA, United States of America
- Portraits: Hellerau Photography Award 8th February to 2nd April 2018 Festspielhaus Hellerau Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 56, 01109 Dresden, Germany
- 29th Sutherland Shire National Exhibition of Photography 2017 9th February 2018, The Entrance Camera Club, CWA Hall, 1 Pacific St, Long Jetty, NSW, Australia
- Talent Factory Annual Event, 2nd May 2018, Two Roads Theatre, Studio City, CA, United States of America
- Chinese Opera Showcase: One Step Closer to Wayang 11th May to 13th May 2018, Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall, Singapore 12 Tai Gin Road, S327874, Singapore
- London Photo Festival 17th to 19th May 2018
The Crypt, Borough High Street, SE1 1JA London, United Kingdom
- Noto Fior di Foto 18th May to 20th May 2018,
Teatro Comunale Vittorio Emanuele Piazza XVI Maggio, 196017 Noto SR, Italy
- Chania Photo Festival 28th August to 5th September 2018 Grand Arsenali Chania, Greece
- 3rd Perth National Photographic Exhibition 22 September to 29 September 2o18 Perth Royal Show Clarement Showground, Photography Pavilion, 1 Graylands Road, Claremont, WA 6010, Australia
- Flowing City – La Città mai ferma, Trieste Photo Days, 18th October to 9th December 2018 Trieste Airport, Via Aquileia 46, Ronchi dei Legionari (GO) – Italy
- Gurushots Exhibition 9th November to 11th November 2018 The Canvas Gallery 158 Mount Pleasant Road, S298349 Singapore
- W A V Venice Audio-Visual show 1st to 9th February 2019 Palazzo Michiel Venice, Italy
- Travel Photographer of the Year Exhibition 29th March to 30th April 2019 London Bridge City London,SE1 2DB United Kingdom
- Ethiopian Flowers & other Harmonies 7th March to 22nd June 2019 Le Dame Art Gallery 1 Albany Street, Regent’s Park London NW13UP United Kingdom
- MONOCHROMERIFIC 1st edition February 2020
More Art Please Gallery Brasoc, Romania
- Urban 2021: Trieste Photo Fringe & Photo Days Tour
4th August to 31st August 2021 Trieste – Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport Via Aquileia 46, I-34077 Ronchi dei Legionari (GO), ITALY.
- Focus Monochrome 1st October 2021 Analog Film Photography Association 221 East Colonial Drive Orlando, Florida 32801, USA
That’s my World – Award Winning Photographers”
5th March to 23rd April 2022 Apfelweingalerie Kleinmarkthalle Frankfurt Eingang West Libfrauenberg Hasengasse 5-7 60311 Frankfurt am Main Frankfurt, Germany
Young and Old 3rd March to 30th April Hartlauer Fotogalerie Am Pöstlingberg 12 · 4040 Linz Austria